Previous Student Work Analysis
Previous Student Work Analysis
http://gdes2012tutor.blogspot.com (10/04/19)
Live Project No. 1: Wyre Forest District Council: 'The Wyre Forest Cycle Trail'?
Set by live client Wyre Forest District Council. The aim was to get students to explore, understand and then best create example wayfinding and associated interpretation/information board concepts for a potential new cycle trail in the Wyre Forest area.
Students had a minimum of an interpretation/information board, directional wayfinding signs and mockup web or phone screens to develop as the brief's main requirements.
Students had a minimum of an interpretation/information board, directional wayfinding signs and mockup web or phone screens to develop as the brief's main requirements.
A. Suitability for brief:
The aim of this project was to create a way finding system for the Wire Forest. At first glance this solution answers the brief very successfully. The map, which is the main element, stands out from the rest of the information board.
B. Colourschemes used
The color scheme used is very natural because o he aides of green used. The only colours which stand out are the trail routes. I feel like they have gone with a theme which suites the company they are designing for. I also think this bird will blend in to its environment.
C. Art style or visual treatments
I feel that the art style used is very illustrative I really admire the subtle background of the trees in the background behind the map. There is a lot of use of vector graphics on this information board which I believe is very effective for the intention of the design. The use of photos aids the vector graphics in this information board so the audience can relate to their surroundings.
D. Use of type
The type used is a type of sans serif font which is most likely Helvetica or a similar style of font. I feel this font is very easy to read and it is widely used for information boards. I think they should have stuck with no more than 3 font sizes as they seem to have about 5 different sizes of fonts, this (to me) makes some of the type look distracting.
E. Use of corporate ID
The student has stuck with the wire forest color scheme which represents the company. they has used the log and referenced their website at the bottom of the information board. I think it is very important to include the corporate identity I the information board so it looks a part of the wire forest.
F. Visual complexity
Having looked at the wire forest color scheme on their webpage I think the student has included a lot of elements from parts of the website. I believe there must have been an on site visit for this project as looking at the photos of the wire forest entrance, they have used a lot of visual elements on their designs, most noticeably the orange butterflies.
G. Use of additional photoshop elements
the information board includes some visuals of a mobile website and a video about the trail. Does your chosen element or design board use a mockup or photoshop template to help show it in different scenarios in the real world? it looks as though there is a supporting a4 information sheet which could be picked up for free by visitors. This is very helpful and the audience have definitely been considered.
H. Suggested further improvements.
My only criticism on this piece would be to improve the layout of the first column of text, maybe to possibly expand it to fit inside the box. There seems to be too much space inside this blue box column.
Live Project No. 2: Malvern Hills District Council: 'The Elgar Trail'
Set by live client Malvern Hills District Council (Tourism Development division). The aim was to get students to explore, understand and then best create example wayfinding and associated interpretation/information board concepts for a potential new cycle trail in the Wyre Forest area.
Students had a minimum of an interpretation/information board, directional wayfinding signs, a mockup supporting leaflet and mockup web or phone screens to develop as the brief's main requirements.
A. Suitability for brief:
I feel the brief here as been partially met. they have not included a mockup web page. I think they have included a mockup leaflet but this is not clearly stated on their final board.
B. Colourschemes used
I feel like the color scheme used is a bit dark. I think they should have used light colors for this brief, maybe even pastel colours as I feel this color scheme doesn't represent Malvern or the malvern hills. The Malvern hills are very big and bold nd I think the color scheme used here says the opposite like it doesn't want to be noticed.
C. Art style or visual treatments
With this work they have used diagrams and a way finding map. I feel like they could have included some more to this such as some illustrations to brighten it up. they have used flat colours and flat vector graphics. I feel like this design looks like an old 90's website because of the type of gray used and the text with the numbers.
D. Use of type
I feel like not much thought has been put into the text, the headings do not stand out from the supporting text beneath. I feel like they should have used columns for this sort of design.
E. Use of corporate ID
There is no use of corporate ID with any of these designs. At first glance this looks like it could be a way finding system for anywhere in the world as there is no specific colours relating to Malvern. I think there should have been more thought about the use of a corporate color scheme or more research should have been carried out to tackle this problem.
F. Visual complexity
I think the visual elements for this brief ar too simplistic as they are very flat. there are no illustrations here and I think using some illustrations would have improved it.
G. Use of additional photoshop elements
For this brief the student has included some of the required elements but has not met all of the asks. I feel like the mockups used here look very poor. the way finding system against the malvern hills looks very flat, even a photoshopped image of a way finding system would make a big difference here. I feel like the mockup of the leaflet could be improved by getting rid of the fold on the corner of the paper.
H. Suggested further improvements.
My main criticism is to change the color scheme of the wayfinding system as I think the colours are too bland. I would opt for a green theme for this brief as I think it would make it look more effective. sometimes the color scheme you use can be more important than the types of visual content used.
Final Overall Q: (Answer this after you've worked through examples from both projects)
I. Looking at these examples of final student outputs on each brief, do you feel that analysing these further has given you further ideas about final presentation of your own work on this project. Please explain your answer whether yes or no.


Comments
Post a Comment